Over the past few years, social media has progressively become a key source of traffic for many websites. It is a powerful promotional tool because it implies that your friend got some value out of the page. Making it simple for people to share your content is thus a great boost to your website. However, each social network has it’s own way of implementing social media sharing buttons, so today we’re going to show you how you can put these on your own site!
It is easy if you’re using Website Builder
Website builder makes it incredibly easy for you to include social sharing buttons. All you have to do is to go to the Components panel and drag the ‘Share Buttons‘ component to the part of the site you want, and voila! There are several options you can choose from in the Properties panel as well, so you can choose how your buttons look!
There are several plugin options if you’re using WordPress
If you’re using WordPress, there are plugins you can use to incorporate sharing buttons. Share Buttons by AddThis has over 200,000 active installs and a 4- star rating and Shareaholic has over 100,000 installs as well as a respectable 4-star rating. I have previously experienced a plugin conflict with the sharing buttons I was using, so it’s something you want to look out for. Perhaps even try a few to see which ones work best for you website.
A cheat sheet for creating custom buttons
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=[URL]&title=[TITLE]
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?status=[TITLE]+[URL]
- Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/create/bookmarklet/?media=[MEDIA]&url=[URL]&description=[TITLE]
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/share?url=[URL]
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=[URL]&title=[TITLE]&source=[SOURCE/DOMAIN]
You can also use each social network’s code snippets
Now you have the resources you need to go create your own sharing buttons!